Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified Team Leader – Economic Recovery
About the Job
The overall objective for DRC in Turkey is the protection and promotion of durable solutions to displacement affected populations on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights with more immediate objectives focusing both on the immediate subsistence needs, protection, and self-reliance support as well as a more long-term focus on social cohesion and resilience building. DRC works with beneficiary communities and individuals to prevent and reduce protection threats and build resilience.
The objective of the Economic Recovery Programme is to develop and strengthen the assets and capacities of the PoC to increase their self-reliance and reduce their socio-economic vulnerabilities. The activities include counseling, technical and vocational education training, language courses, facilitation of short and long-term job creation, productive asset support, and entrepreneurship support to improve and/or diversify vulnerable peoples’ skill sets and promote access to job opportunities so they can pursue livelihood opportunities that increase their ability to adapt and cope with shocks, besides, DRC implement activities to link job seekers to available job opportunities and to promote the sale of small producers (job and product fairs).
DRC Turkey is therefore seeking to hire a qualified and energetic team leader to help execute and support its livelihood initiatives in field locations office. The successful candidate will:
• Manage economic recovery team members to ensure timely and proper implementation of activities.
• Deliver management and technical support and guidance to the team to ensure the quality of the support provided as prescribed in relevant DRC’s policies
• Ensure proper planning, implementation, and follow up of all technical and managerial aspects of the sector activities being implemented by DRC in the scope of geographical responsibility
• Develop and maintain good relations with the persons of concern, relevant stakeholders, private sector entities, and other humanitarian actors, to support adequate implementation and coordination of DRC’s sector activities.
• Prompt reporting of challenges to economic recovery manager at the area office level.
• Regular reporting to economic recovery Manager (cc; AMs and Economic Recovery Programme Coordinator)
• Leading effective field-level coordination with other departments, including MEAL, liaison, and supply chain
• Coordinating closely with implementing partners to co-plan jointly implemented activities and extend technical support when needed.
• Following the contextual development as well as local labor market dynamics to inform economic recovery programming
• Perform any other Economic Recovery programme tasks given by the direct line manager
Sector responsibilities: Counseling, facilitation of job creation (cash-for-work, wage subsidy scheme), market linkage activities, Home-based Productive Assets Support(PAS), formal entrepreneurship support through business skills training and distribution of business grants, business formalization support, women cooperative support, organization of business networking activities, business mapping, monitoring and reporting of activities planning and implementation.
This position requires close coordination with implementing partners to ensure proper implementation of activities in line with sub-grant agreements, pre-agreed DRC SOPs and tools. S/he is expected to regularly coordinate with the partner/s to align partner implementation plans with DRC’s, and extend technical support when needed.
The Economic Recovery Manager is the line manager of this position.
Geographic scope: Kahramanmaraş
This role has a focus at the field office area of operations and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines within the location. The role contributes to developing field strategies related to the activities implementation, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks. The role provides support and/or supervision to field operations while overseeing field activities.
- Lead and manage the team (including staff recruitment, planning, performance, well-being and development)
- Ensure effective planning and quality implementation of the sector/support activities
- Ensure daily monitoring of field locations under s/his responsibility
- Assess the quality of provided services.
- Provide guidance to staff of DRC and Partner organizations on best ways to conduct activities
- Provide supervision, guidance and monitoring of programme staff, ensuring clarity over programme plans and priorities and encouraging effective teamwork.
- Facilitate regular staff meetings to ensure awareness of programme objectives, and provide opportunities for feedback
- Build staff and partners’ capacity on good economic recovery practices based on identified needs and capacity building plans
Programming & Operations
- Ensure efficient and effective programme implementation while following the budget and work plan
- Participate in preparing monthly/quarterly/annual highlights/reports and proposals and budgets for donors
- Lead the team in carrying out monitoring and evaluation exercises
- Oversee DRC and implementing partners’ daily activities and budget expenditure of economic recovery activities in accordance with agreed work plans.
- Supervise proper programme documentation
- Regularly travel to field sites and centers to ensure activities are on-track and provide guidance to field staff in line with existing protocols and guidelines.
- Track and report the progress of activities, ensure the collecting of programme indicators and provide on-time internal status reports and external donor reports according to DRC, donor and other applicable timeframes and formats.
- Ensure confidentiality and data security controls processes are in place and complied with by economic recovery staff (including the staff of the implementing partners)
- Identify and advocate for opportunities to mainstream and expand economic recovery activities.
- Lead private sector engagement and local stakeholders for activities to facilitate job creation
Coordination and representation
- Collaborate with relevant internal and external technical experts on sector relevant issues
- Represent DRC at meetings and other relevant working group and cluster coordination meetings when required
- Ensure integration with other DRC sectors as planned by management
- Maintain positive relations with the implementing partners and ensure all issues, implementation delays, etc. are addressed in a timely manner, including through providing operational coaching and support to the partners
- Support Economic Recovery Manager in identifying partnership opportunities also with private sector actors, and liaising with Turkish institutions and local authorities, local NGO partners and CBOs concerning livelihoods activities and project implementation;
- Promote relations and coordinate activities with other humanitarian actors, donors, UN, and civil authorities in area of intervention in the absence of Economic Recovery Manager
- Maintain a strong private sector and stakeholder engagement
- Support and provide inputs on economic recovery programme development initiatives in coordination with Economic Recovery Manager and Economic Recovery Programme Coordinator: propose ideas to programme team for feedback and proactively identify opportunities based on needs assessment and gap analysis.
- Analyse and report to the economic recovery manager (cc: Economic Recovery Programme Coordinator and AM), new regulations related to the access to education and job market for Syrians and follow up the implementation of those regulations in the assigned location to design adequate programming and report to Economic Recovery manager and Economic Recovery Programme Coordinator
- Ensure that a risk analysis in the area of intervention is in place and regularly updated.
- Support the monitoring of financial commitments and expenditures against budgets and provide timely feedback on the budget follow-up to the Economic Recovery Manager
- Plan and coordinate proactively logistics and movements of staff from and to different operational areas
- Prepare regular procurement plans and coordinate with supply chain for the timely execution of the plans.
- Review pre-determined supportive documents for CFW and Wage subsidy components, initiate payment processes on time and lead tracking of the payments
- Initiate procurements and ensure their execution and regularly report challenges to Economic Recovery Manager,
- Ensure distribution plans are prepared and shared with logistics in a timely manner
- Follow up and monitor contracts with service providers in close coordination with Economic Recovery OfficersEnsure familiarity of Economic Recovery Staff with DRC’s Operational Handbook
As Team Leader the post-holder is responsible for the following:
• Accountable for management of employees under his responsibility
• Accountable for ensuring that agreed work plans and tasks set by the next-level up manager are implemented on time
• Initiating the hiring and firing of employees and conducting performance appraisals are permitted at this level but are closely overseen by the next-level manager.
To be successful in this role, you must have bachelor’s degree in business administration, economics, social sciences, development studies. Master degree or higher in international development, economics, business administration or other relevant fields is a strong asset.
Moreover, we also expect the following:
Required experience and competencies
• Minimum 3 years of management experience at a mid to senior level, with experience in the field of humanitarian response with a special focus on livelihoods intervention, working for an international NGO, UN agency, relevant ministry, or local authority.
• Minimum 2 years of practical experience in sector area working for an INGO
• Proven management skills and a competence in people management
• Commitment to learning and implementing organizational policies and procedures.
• Excellent skill in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
• Full professional proficiency in English and Turkish, Arabic is a strong asset.
• Field experience; experience in working in Southern Turkey is an asset
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct.
Contract length: 10,5 Months (The contract duration is until the end of 2022 without a possibility of extension.)
Employment Band: G
Designation of Duty Station: Kahramanmaraş
Start date: 14.02.2022
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Nationals.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 26.01.2022 (Due to the urgency to fill the post, recruitment will be done on the rolling basis and DRC reserves the right to recruit before the deadline.)
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.
Please click here to see the Data Protection.
DRC as an employer
By working in DRC, you will be joining a global workforce of around 8000 employees in 40 countries. We pride ourselves on our:
- Professionalism, impact & expertise
- Humanitarian approach & the work we do
- Purpose, meaningfulness & own contribution
- Culture, values & strong leadership
- Fair compensation & continuous development
DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/about-us/job-and-career/support-for-job-seekers.
Danish Refugee Council is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive and positive work environment based on mutual respect for all employees. All applicants are considered for employment without attention to race, age, ability, ethnicity, nationality, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other factor. At DRC we celebrate diversity and appreciate our employees for the people they are and their unique skills, backgrounds, and perspectives. We encourage all interested candidates to apply!