Medecins du Monde Turkey (MDM-T) / Dünya Doktorları Dernegi (DDD) is a Turkish based humanitarian non-governmental organisation that facilitates access to healthcare for populations affected by armed conflict, violence, natural disasters, disease, famine, poverty and exclusion.
Our organization collaborates with partners and key stakeholders to implement projects that facilitate access to primary and secondary-level healthcare services to respond to the medical needs of displaced population.
DDD is the 16th member of the Doctors of the World International Network that is committed to meeting the health needs of vulnerable people globally.
Since 2015, DDD implements programs in both Turkey and Syria providing refugee and IDP communities with free access to healthcare services. DDD works with a range of humanitarian professionals and technical experts to provide Primary Healthcare (PHC), Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS)services as well as sexual and reproductive health (SRH).
Since the beginning of the Syria and Iraqi crises, Turkey has become host to over 3 million refugees, migrants and asylum seekers which led to an increasing demand for health services. In this context, DDD’s intervention aims to assist local public health systems in providing and improving access to health and health related services to vulnerable populations among refugees and migrants in Turkey, specifically in Hatay, Izmir and Istanbul. In Syria, DDD runs health facilities in Idlib and Afrin provinces to deliver health-related services to IDPs.
Hierarchical & Functional links
Based in DDD Coordination Head Office, the Translator will be directly supervised by the Administrative and Human Resources Coordinator.
Depending on Project activities, the Translator may temporarily be reassigned to another location.
- Document translation
- Verbal translation
- Administrative support
- Other related tasks
- Document Translation
- Assist management in translating/rephrasing documents from English to Turkish or vice versa in high quality; and using the humanitarian terminology in clear language understood by all parties involved;
- Review translated material for the accuracy of meaning, grammar and syntax;
- Verbal Translation
- Perform efficient and accurate translation/interpretation during meetings, workshops and professional conversations, etc., including one to one and group settings;
- Translating between Turkish or English of each parties in the consultation or conversation;
- Coordinate with external translation service company;
- Ensure accuracy of external translation cost
- Provide a report and/or handover document at the end of contract;
- Other tasks related to the position
- Provide assistant to any member of the team, if requested;
- Participate in internal work meetings;
- Report any security related issues to the line manager;
- Support operational organisation of field trips and DDD programs;
- Assist in any other tasks related to the position, as required by DDD Management.
Compliance & Ethics
Promote and encourage a culture of compliance and ethics throughout Dünya Doktorları Derneği. As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of Dünya Doktorları Derneği and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Conducts work with the highest level of integrity. Communicates these values to staff and to partners and requires them to adhere to these values.
Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse
Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within Dünya Doktorları Derneği and amongst beneficiaries served by Dünya Doktorları Derneği.
NB: considering the purpose and values of the organisation, DDD requests to its employee complete flexibility in term of duties and commitment, as their job description and job title can be adjusted throughout the year according to needs and priorities.
Knowledge & Qualification
- University degree or equivalent qualification in Linguistic or related fields;
- Understanding of health issues;
- Minimum 3-5 years practical experience in Turkish and English translation or teaching;
- Previous international personal or professional experience would be a plus;
- Experience in translating and proofreading;
- Required: English and Turkish (oral and written);
IT & Equipment
- Proficient using of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) and/or other software.
Intellectual & Physical
- Excellent organisational and multi-tasking skills;
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stressful situation;
Communication & Information flow
- Reporting skills;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Able to communicate to a range of individuals;
General Qualities required:
- Ability to work in an international context and collaborate with international and national experts;
- Empathy for people facing difficult situations;
- Familiar with multicultural environment;
Dünya Doktorları Derneği is an equal opportunity employer whereby we ensure all hiring and employment decisions, and operates all programs, services, and functions without the practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
How to apply:
- Please apply with your CV and motivation letter in ENGLISH through our website.
- The deadline for submitting the applications is 05.01.2020.
Due to the urgency to fill this post, DDD reserves the right to review the CVs on a rolling basis and selected candidates may be interviewed prior to the closing dates listed, therefore early applications are encouraged.
DDD is not in a position to respond to every applicant individually due to the anticipated high number of applications.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
DDD retains the discretion to re-advertise the vacancy, to cancel the recruitment, to offer a contract with a modified job description or for a different duration, or to offer a contract at a lower grade.
Dünya Doktorları Derneği
DDD in Turkey, in collaboration with different partners, is running a project aiming at facilitating access and orienting beneficiaries to primary and secondary level of health care services, providing Psycho Social Support for the refugees and migrants in Turkey.
- Deputy Logistic Coordinator
- PROJECT PSYCHOSOCIAL COUNSELLOR-BAĞCILAR
- MEAL ASSISTANT - AFRIN
- MEAL ASSISTANT-IDLIB
- LIAISON OFFICER - AFRIN
- ADMIN & HR ASSISTANT-AFRIN
- TEAM LEADER (LEAD DOCTOR) - AFRIN
- INTERNIST DOCTOR - IDLIB
- PAEDIATRICIAN - IDLIB
- LABORATORY DOCTOR - IDLIB
- GRANTS MANAGER - ISTANBUL
- DATA ENTRY OFFFICER - IDLIB