Position Name: Translator
Duty Station: Samsun, Türkiye
RET Turkey works on bridging the gap between humanitarian and development assistance, focusing primarily on vulnerable and marginalised youth residing within country. RET envisions a world in which vulnerable young people overcome multidimensional adversities and are capacitated to lead their own journey towards rebuilding more resilient and peaceful communities. To achieve this goal, RET relies on two decades of experience bridging humanitarian and developmental approaches to act efficiently within our main areas of interventions.
Towards that end, RET has invested in designing evidence-based cross-cutting assistance interventions that aim, among other things, at:
- Countering the marginalisation of vulnerable adolescents by endorsing“a gender-balanced approach”to youth agency pillared around: (i) cultivating leadership congruent with fostering youth peace ambassadorship; (ii) designing and administering technical and vocational capacity building modules conducive to economic integration; and (iii) supporting youth resilience and socio-educational programming (including basic education), as a conduit for conflict transformation and sustainable peace building.
- Responding to the lack of conflict mitigation mechanisms by building “cross-cultural bridges” between host and displaced communities through: (i) creating platforms for inter-communal and cross-generational dialogue and confidence building; and (ii) promoting youth civic empowerment, peer-to-peer mentoring and anti- violence advocacy initiatives that encourage social cohesion and bolster community resilience; and
- Preventing violent extremism through the: (i) promotion of democratic values and practices via educational programming and learning for responsible citizenship; and (ii) provisioning of psychosocial support and counselling.
Since 2014, RET Turkey has been amongst the forefront responders to Syrian crisis, reaching out to over 200’000 beneficiaries, whilst implementing a broad range of interventions, in the fields of: (i) Education; (ii) Community-Based Protection, (iii) Child Protection; (iv) Livelihoods & Self-Reliance; (v) Social Cohesion; (vi) Youth Empowerment; and (vii) Institutional Strengthening /Capacity Building of local and public partners. RET' s mission is to alleviate suffering and catalyzes sustainable development, in crises, conflicts and fragile contexts.
Translator Duties and Responsibilities
- Work in close coordination with the Psychosocial Counsellors/Recreational Activity Facilitators/Protection Assistants and Legal Counsellor; and provide interpretation from Arabic/Turkish to Turkish/Arabic.
- Accompany Protection Assistants during the field visits and mobile activities, for necessary interpretation services if required.
- Work with the Psychosocial Counsellors/Protection Assistants during counselling or assessments to provide interpretation.
- Welcome families and beneficiaries visiting the Centre and inform them about the Centre and its activities.
- Regularly report challenges and progress
- Support project team in effective referrals to relevant public institutions and NGOs.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
- Work under the supervision of the Protection Coordinator to ensure that the project activities’ interpretation needs are planned and conducted in a cooperative manner.
Profile & Skills
- Preferable Bachelor’s Degree in language and literature, or a related field from an accredited academic institution.
- Two years of professional experience.
- Advanced knowledge of Turkish and Arabic is required. Knowledge of Dari/Pashto and English is an asset
- Prior experience in working in humanitarian contexts is an asset.
- Prior knowledge of Humanitarian Principles, Syrian Crisis in Turkey and refugees.
- Excellent inter-personal and communication skills
- Strong organizational, communicational and analytical skills and flexibility.
- Ability to meet deadlines, and work under pressure
- Good knowledge of written and spoken Turkish and Arabic is a must.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. RET reserves the right to change this document.
Does RET follow an equal opportunities policy, for example concerning gender, race, ethnic origin, age, etc?
It is the mission of RET to provide equal access and opportunities for all. In fact, RET focuses particularly on promoting the advancement of female youth in vulnerable situations and cultures that typically may steer young women into early marriages, housekeeping chores, prostitution, and trafficking. Our staff worldwide are particularly multicultural, in both HQ and in the field. We employ mostly local staff on the ground, with as few international expatriate staff as possible.
Note: Due to the urgency to fill this post, RET reserves the right to review the CVs on a rolling basis and selected candidates may be interviewed prior to the closing dates listed, therefore early applications are encouraged. RET is not in a position to respond to every applicant individually due to the anticipated high number of applications. Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.