Terms of Reference
Job Title : Translator
Duty stations: In 1 city (Ankara)
Reports to: Project Officer
Provide translation between Turkish and English orally and for writing documents and other services such as meetings, workshops, interviews, phone calls etc.
Requirements: Applicants must have ID (at least for 6 months) and/or place of residence.
- Translate orally and/or in writing all documents presented by program staff.
- Provide translation services for program personnel, and other individuals for meetings, workshops, interviews, telephone calls, etc.
- Review translated material for accuracy of meaning, grammar and syntax.
- Participate in program activities, including meetings and conferences, as needed
- Travels with staff on their missions to the field for interpretation and other assistance, as needed;
- Work closely with the Team Leader to ensure quality of work
- Maintain ongoing interactive and positive relationships with the refugee and Turkish communities; building strong relationships with the community based on trust
- Prepare, follow, and update work-plans for line managers
- Analyses at all times the changing needs amongst Syrians and refugee groups
- Perform other duties as needed.
Qualifications & Experience
- University degree from Foreign Language Departments of universities
- Minimum 1 year of relevant work experience preferably in non-governmental and/or organizations (NGOs)
- Sound knowledge of working in humanitarian context
- Well-developed organizational and planning skills
- Self-motivation and strong team spirit
- Good communication skills with both host and guest communities
- Good literacy, numeracy and record keeping skills
- Fluency in English is a distinctive asset
- Experience working in the deadline-driven environment.
- Commitment to confidentiality and neutrality;
- Experience working under stress and ability to work in teams
- Adheres to organizational values, which are: Human Approach Principle; Respect and Non-Discrimination; Independence and Impartiality; Accountability and Transparency
- Demonstrate potential in the following behavioral competencies; Listening, understanding and responding
- Team work/motivation/cooperation: To be able to work co-operatively within diverse teams, work groups and across the organization to achieve group and organizational goals
- Self-Development: to be able to involve proactively and take actions to improve personal capacity
- Approach on allowing people to take control of their lives and maintain greater dignity