Vacancy Notice Number:
Vocational English Instructor
Antalya and Istanbul (Airports) – Turkey
Deadline of Applications:
20 April 2021
Number of Vacant Positions:
3 (Antalya – 1, Istanbul – 2)
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental, and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
With over 2,600 km of land borders and a coastline that spans 7,200 km, the government of Turkey has a network of approximately 203 land, sea and air border crossing points (BCPs) which are managed by law enforcement agencies under the MoI, including the Directorate General of Security-Turkish National Police (TNP). Document fraud is widely perceived as a serious problem affecting border control and internal security of any country. The verification of the authenticity of identity and travel documents is a key element of border checks and a pre-requisite for efficient border control. The continuous development and sophistication of the physical, optical, and electronic security features of travel documents currently in circulation poses increasing demands on for border control officers, who need to increasingly rely on the support of document inspection systems (DIS) using advanced functionalities as well as automated components.
Against this background, on 22 December 2020, IOM Turkey started implementing EU-funded “Enhancing Capacities of Turkish National Police and Other Law Enforcement Agencies in Detection of Forgery in Travel Documents and Risk Analysis” project. The objective of the project is to contribute to the ongoing efforts of the Government of Turkey to address irregular migration in line with the EU standards and best practices by increasing the capacity of the TNP and related institutions in several fields.
English is widely used for communication between migrants/passengers at BCPs and TNP officers, and thus is deemed important for the frontline personnel of TNP. To this aim, vocational English language courses will be provided to selected 30 TNP staff working at Istanbul Sabiha Gokcen Airport, Istanbul Airport and Antalya Airport to improve the efficiency and accuracy of first- and second-line interviews with passengers. English language skills will allow TNP trainees to maintain effective communications with travellers passing the borders who do not speak Turkish, who mostly work at the BCPs across Turkey. The courses will be tailored to professional aspects of the TNP aiming to improve communication skills related to IBM. The language courses will focus on practical activities implemented by TNP staff at the BCPs (e.g. standard questions used by the border staff during document checks, and first- and second-line interviews of passengers).
The participants will be attending language courses as an additional engagement to their primary job duties. For this reason, time of the courses will be arranged flexibly, in coordination with trainees and their respective supervisors. Courses will be implemented in Istanbul Airport, Istanbul Sabiha Gokcen Airport and Antalya Airport. Under the overall supervision of the Project Manager, the Vocational English Instructor will:
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Deliver a 60-hour Vocational English Language course to TNP staff working at Border Crossing Points (BCPs). The total duration of the course will be 15 business days (4 hours per day).
- Conduct English proficiency tests at the beginning and the end of the course and verify satisfactory achievement of the trainees. The proficiency test implemented at the beginning of the course will be used for fine-tuning the course according to the English level of the participants.
- Develop and implement a training program for the Vocational English Language Course with a view to facilitate the communication between foreign travelers and TNP staff at BCPs.
- Ensure effective and interactive participation of the assigned TNP staff to the course, document daily participation by taking daily signed participation lists.
- Develop the participants’ communication skills at BCPs in English through speaking practice and exercises within the course,
- Submit a training completion report at the end of the language training.
While applying, the applicants should indicate the duty station they want to work at (Antalya Airport, Istanbul Sabiha Gokcen Airport or Istanbul Airport).
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree on English teaching, Interpretation or relevant departments
- Minimum 5 -years of experience in teaching English to adults
- Proven knowledge and previous practical and/or academic experience in the field of Vocational English Courses,
- Experience in developing training materials, curricula and delivering tailor-made vocational English trainings at any level,
- Excellent drafting skills,
- Good communicational, analytical, interpersonal and organizational skills
- Residing or willing to reside in Antalya or Istanbul
- Previous experience on teaching English to Law Enforcement Officers/Border Police will be considered a strong asset.
- Excellent command of verbal and written English
- Good command of Turkish
- Being a native English speaker will be considered an asset
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
• Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
• Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
• Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Integrity and transparency:
Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
• Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
• Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
• Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
• Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
• Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
• Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
• Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
• Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
• Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
• Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a "hands-on" approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
• Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
- Delivering Results:
•Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
• Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
• Manages time and resources efficiently, monitoring progress and making adjustments as necessary.
• Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
•Keeps abreast of new developments in own field of competence and creates opportunities for knowledge management initiatives.
• Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
• Puts new learning into practice and draws on diverse sources of ideas and inspiration.
• Contributes to the identification of improvements to work processes and assists in implementing them.
•Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
• Takes ownership of all responsibilities within own role and honours commitments to others and to the Organization.
• Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
• Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
•Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
• Adapts communication to the recipient’s needs, asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
• Encourages others to share their views, using active listening to demonstrate openness and to build understanding of different perspectives.
• Listens carefully and genuinely to the views and positions of others; acts on received information.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application, including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of e-mail or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sokak No:24 Cankaya, Ankara by the end of 20 April 2021.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.