The WASH Project Manager will be one of the key positions within WATANs WASH team managing WASH projects in northern Syria. Working remotely with regular visits to Syria, s/he will manage, and gradually strengthen the capacity of a team of program officers and engineers responsible for conducting WASH need assessment in conflict-affected areas and following up on the project implementation on the ground.
WASH PM is responsible for running and supervising water, sanitation and hygiene projects at all stages of the project management cycle. He/she is also responsible for accomplishing the project objectives and outcomes within the contextual constraints. The PM ensures the overall success of the project by making sure the WASH team completes the defined activities while adhering to internal standards and contractual obligations; and that the project is completed on time, within budget and with acceptable quality.
#1 WASH Project Implementation
- Develop the project plans and supporting the other related- project departments during developing their plans.
- Recruit project staff.
- Provide daily coaching and mentoring to project team.
- Develop project tools, including assessment questionnaires to be entered into electronic data collection platforms.
- Ensure WASH project activities are on track and adhere to project proposal, implementation plan, budget, and donor and WATAN regulations and requirements.
- Oversee ongoing technical assessment processes; generate high quality assessments reports and BoQs, drawings, and share assessment reports with relevant stakeholders.• In collaboration with Emergency Response and Protection WATANs staff, Follow up the emergency response activities related to WASH.
- Working closely with Program Quality team to ensure necessary monitoring systems are in place
- Support M&E and technical teams with monitoring and data collection activities for other projects as needed.
- Prepare inputs for coordination mechanisms (4Ws).
- Prepare inputs for WATAN sitreps .
- Support external representation as needed, especially in meetings with operational partners and in the WASH cluster and sector working groups.
- Prepare all narrative reports requested by WATAN and donors as per the reporting schedule .
- Prepare donor updates and reports as needed.
- Participation in the development of new proposals.
#2 Financial/Asset Management
- Support procurement and financial processes related to WASH projects, and ensure they are in line with WATAN policies and procedures.
- Ensure that Project expenditure is being coded correctly and consistently (that is allocated to correct budget lines) and that donor funds are used solely for the purposes for which they were granted and in accordance with relevant WATAN and donor guidelines and operational manuals.
- Working closely with finance team to review and approve the financial reports.
- Check the monthly Project financial reports for accuracy and appropriateness.
- Regularly discuss with finance manager and project accountant concerning financial reporting issues, errors, trends, payment delays, and related matters.
- Monitor expenditure on a monthly basis against the approved budget. Review expenditure projections to ensure that expenditure stays within budget. Significant actual or anticipated expenditure variances against the budget should be included in the monthly report to line management together with any recommendations for changes to the budget.
- Review and finalize project financial reports to donors.
#3 Personnel Management
- Develop, define and maintain updated job descriptions for WASH project field and ncentive workers, which clearly delineate their roles and responsibilities.
- Work with the human resources and administration department, ensuring that WATANs recruitment/procurement procedures policies are followed.
- Ensure that all staff clearly understand their roles and responsibilities. On the basis of their job descriptions monitor staff performance.
- Identify the key skills required by all Project staff to effectively fulfill their designated roles and where necessary suggest or plan staff training to fulfil such needs as well as provide on-job training and coaching/mentoring.
- Ensure that staff participate in the development of project weekly/monthly work plans.
- Work closely with program manager to support partners to manage their day-to-day activities and staff performance.
- At all times ensure the safety and security of all Project staff in line with WATAN policies and procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Degree in WASH related studies (engineering, public health, geology, etc.)
- Fluent in Arabic & English (strong written and verbal skills)
- 3-5 years of experience managing humanitarian projects in the field.
- At least 3 years of experience with managing WASH projects.
- Experience with data management, especially in the analysis of large sets of data and in data illustration
- Experience with electronic data collection systems.
- Strong experience working with INGOs and donors.
- Experience with remote management
- Experience working on technical assessments and preparing assessment reports including all drawings, BBQs and other related documents
- PMP or PgMP certified
- Strong skills in written communication, including report writing
- Strong skills in interpersonal communications, able to work effectively with multiple stakeholders in a complex, multi-actor environment
- Experience with monitoring and evaluation activities and principles
- Competence with MS Office applications, including Word, Excel and Outlook
- Strong team player, able to develop and maintain effective working relationships within a distributed and dynamic team
- The flexible, creative and solution-oriented approach in an innovative environment
Child Protection Policy
Child abuse in all forms is unacceptable to WATAN, which recognizes its responsibility to protect children from harm in all areas of its work. WATAN is committed to ensuring a child-safe environment and is applying a zero-tolerance approach towards any kind of child abuse and exploitation.
Discrimination, Abuse and Harassment Policy
WATAN provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and expressly prohibits and will not tolerate any form of discrimination, abuse, harassment (sexual or otherwise), based upon race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship status, disability, or military status.
WATAN employees and related personnel must under no circumstances take part in any form of discrimination, harassment, or abuse (physical, sexual or verbal), intimidation or exploitation, or in any other way infringe the rights of others inside or outside WATAN.
Applications are strongly encouraged from female candidate.
Applications are being reviewed on a rolling basis. WATAN reserves the right to close this advert before the confirmed closing date when we are in receipt of sufficient applications.