Bahar Organization is an independent non-profit and non-governmental organization that provides humanitarian aids to vulnerable people without any discrimination in all its forms. BO is operating to respond to the needs and basic requirements of the humanitarian crisis in Syria in the middle of the affected communities caused by the conflict the basic principles of BO’s activities are to enhance the basic living standards of the affected population by delivering humanitarian aid based on the needs.
Purpose of position
The role of the WASH Programmes Officer encompasses significant contributions to programmatic and operational aspects of projects within the department. This includes overseeing efficient management and cultivating relationships with relevant internal and external stakeholders. Additionally, the Officer supervises interventions throughout the project cycle, including budget oversight in collaboration with the Line Manager and Programme Coordinator.
A vital responsibility of the WaSH Programmes Officer is actively contributing to preparing and developing high-quality program plans. This entails areas such as Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability, and Learning (MEAL), as well as procurement plans. Furthermore, the Officer plays a crucial role in contributing to donor reports, ensuring diligent monitoring of projects, maintaining project quality, and fostering a culture of internal and external learning.
The WASH Programmes Officer also serves as a representative of the organization when needed, enhancing its image and building strong relationships with relevant stakeholders.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Programme Management and Development:
- Support the programme coordinator in constructing Concept Note/proposal.
- Ensure consistent coordination between the WASH_SNFI_CCCM department and other support/operations departments, including the liaison team to ensure quality and timely implementation of the projects’ activities.
- Oversee the overall implementation of the designated projects in accordance with the project proposals/contract while ensuring objectives are met within the required time frame and budget.
- Follow up with MEAL Dept. to ensure that regular monitoring and evaluation assessments against project objectives are conducted, and complaints are responded to in a timely manner.
- Modify the implementation plan of the project as required and shared it with focal point & stakeholders (if needed), Including Kick-Off meetings, regular follow-up meetings),
- Set periodic meetings with other departments to discuss the progress of the projects and find solutions for any existing and potential barriers and challenges.
- Ensure designated projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Bahar, donor, country, and international standards.
- Promote the use of operating procedures, ensuring that all standardized formats are used and guidelines followed.
- Maintain relationships with relevant stakeholders (e.g., local authorities, donors, UN agencies and other NGOs) and represent Bahar at relevant meetings (e.g., technical working groups, cluster meetings, workshops etc.) in order to facilitate and ensure cooperation and partnerships.
HQ and Field Team:
- Provide technical support to project team at field level
- Liaise between Turkey and Syria teams.
- Supervise and manage the field teams related directly to the project.
- Receive project implementation and progress reports from related Field Project Manager, revise and submit them to the Programmes Coordinator, and help improve the quality of the reporting draft
- Receive and revise M&E reports and act according to their recommendations.
- Prepare and submit periodic reports of project progress to donors (as relevant).
- Ensure complete, timely & quality reporting of activities to Programme Coordinator/Manager.
- Determine any specific need for capacity building related to the position and inform the Programme Coordinator.
- Provide related training to the field team (the method is discussed with the Programmes Manager and HR.
- Attend related training held by donors, other NGOs, partners etc., as nominated by Programmes Manager.
- Deliver training to the field teams remotely and face-to-face.
- Reflect the vision and values of Bahar with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Adhere to all HR policies as per HR manual and code of policy, including the 4 Humanitarian Principles, Joint Operation Procedures, “Do No Harm” Principles and the data protection.
- Ensure full completion of any other work and tasks requested by line manager and/or Programmes Manager.
- Flag any potential risk on Bahar reputation, underspending & overspending to the Programme Coordinator.
Academic Qualification/s and Professional Experience:
- Holder of Bachelor degree in related sector.
- More than three years experience in NGOs.
Required Skills and Capabilities:
- English and Arabic language proficiency: very good (writing, reading, and speaking).
- MS Office suit proficiency: very good.
- Demonstrated ability to train and improve capacity building of other staff.
- Ability to transfer gained skills to other staff.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural and multi-ethnic environment with respect for diversity.
- Empathy with organizational vision, mission, goals, and objectives; commitment to humanitarian principles and actions.
- Ability to prioritize tasks.
- Strong attention to details and high level of organization.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work under pressure.
- Effective leadership and planning and excellent dispute resolution skills.
Safeguarding & Ethics:
Bahar is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants, or others, are treated with respect and dignity. We are committed to the core principles regarding the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary-General and IASC. We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members. As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and adhere to the Bahar Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times. Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct e-learning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.
How to apply
Interested candidates should apply by completing the form at the following link:
The post will be filled as soon as a suitable candidate is found.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Due to the urgency to fill this role, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Kindly note that the position will be filled before the vacancy announcement is closed; therefore, early applications are encouraged